Recap: April 18 Meeting
Thank you to everyone who joined us on Tuesday night for our April Do The Most Good meeting!Mr. Ali Abidi from the Howard County Muslim Council spoke about the challenges faced by county residents who are Muslim. In particular, he shared that the number one thing we can all do to help is to educate people about the Muslim religion. Correcting stereotypes when you hear them in conversations and helping to educate your family and friends when opportunities present themselves will go a long way to helping to defeat misinformation.
Our subgroups are hard at work. If you would like to be connected to any of the following groups, please send me an email and I will connect you: Healthcare, Press/Media, Food Drive, Environmental Justice, Appointment Monitoring, Unity in Action (formerly hate monitoring/diversity).
Food Drive Status
A big thank you to all who brought food donations to the Tuesday meeting. The team collected 208 pounds of food from the DTMG team and delivered this to the Food Bank on Wednesday.
The #DTMG food drive is running through May 15th. Please help collect food at your workplace or in your neighborhood. Email Christina for more information and fliers: email@example.com
Be Part of the Listening Tour on May 6th
Ready to take action? Join us on Saturday May 6 to knock on doors, chat with voters, and find out what local issues matter to them. We’ll meet up at one of three locations and go out in groups. We meet at 9:30am for training (maps and scripts are provided) and canvass from 10am-12pm. Sign up form:
Buses for March for Science and People’s Climate Movement
If you are planning on attending these events (see details in the Events list below), here is some information from our friends at IndivisibleHoCoMD on buses to these rallies.
Accounts are set up with Rally Bus for buses from Columbia to the marches on April 22 and 29th. These are crowdfunded buses: until enough people have made reservations the bus will not be reserved.
When there are enough reservations made, Rally will send you a CONFIRMED reservation that you will need to print out and bring that morning.
To make your reservation:
- Go to Rallybus.net.
- Click on the tab Find Ride.
- Enter event, such as March for Science or People’s March for Climate.
- A page will pop-up where you will need to select your State and departure city.
- Once all that information is entered, you will get details on the bus, where to get on, what time it departs/returns, and the cost per person. The buses will depart from the Columbia Mall, parking level on upper level, near Sears Auto.
- If you make a reservation, you WILL NOT get a confirmation until the bus is full.
- Your credit card will not be charged until there are enough registrations to fill the bus. At that time you will receive a CONFIRMED reservation and your card will be charged.
If you have questions, please contact Hannah Whitney firstname.lastname@example.org
Read and Share on Our Blog
Check out the DTMG blog – the place to read the latest news and share your thoughts. Submissions should be sent to Angie at email@example.com.Take Action
Check the resources and events lists below for ideas on actions.
Mark your calendars for the next meeting: May 16th at Miller Library at 7 pm.
Thank you, everyone, for working every day to make our county a better place!